Blackfishing: Women accused of pretending to be black

Canuck

soother
Staff member
Ratings
6FF81360-0C90-4BDB-A403-AEB3B6F8FA8D.jpeg University of Birmingham student has told the BBC she's had to defend herself on social media after being labelled a "blackfish".

The term's been talked about a lot online in the past month since a Twitter thread by the writer Wanna Thompson went viral.

Alicja says the picture on the left is from when she was 13, and the one on the right is recently after being on holiday
Aga BrzostowskaCopyright: Aga Brzostowska
The accusation is that white influencers on Instagram are changing their features to make themselves look more like black women, such as having darker skin or hairstyles that include curls and braids.

Aga Brzostowska says she's white and Polish but thinks people are surprised when they find out, due to "stereotypes" about what Polish people look like.

oKeg

regular
Ratings
I dont see this as a problem. The rest of the world tries to whitewash and no one cares. There's non-whites wearing blonde/brown hair, blue/green eye contacts, lightening their skin, straightening their hair etc..

Canuck

soother
Staff member
Ratings
I dont see this as a problem. The rest of the world tries to whitewash and no one cares. There's non-whites wearing blonde/brown hair, blue/green eye contacts, lightening their skin, straightening their hair etc..
I guess that you are kind of right with al these bleaching and fake blonde hair walking women.